Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Snowland


Late Winter Afternoon

The snow itself seeks
a roost in the trees' branches.
Inside: tea on, rest.

I am borrowing from Liz at Cassandra Pages (see sidebar), who as a disciplined and actual writer, did not abandon her blog, but wrote only short prose pieces and poems, haikus among them, for all of January. Determined not to become a once a year poster to my own blog, I sat down this evening too tired to really write anything, so decided to risk embarassment and take up haiku myself for one night to get started. I've been fussing over the last line, but what the heck. Too bad "the welcome arms of home" has six syllables is what I've been thinking, because that is much more the general idea.
It is wintery here, all right, today, and coming home this afternoon after some tense meetings at Greenhouse City and running errands finds me fairly wiped out. Now the oven is on and dinner is cooking, and I could really do with that cup of tea. I've saved it for myself for later, having fought off a pounding headache with an extra cappuccino this morning (so much catching up to do: I replaced my broken machine here with a Sirena machine bought on the cheap, in case you've been waiting for the end of that story...).
At the right is a picture of Snowland, not my snowy land, which has so far escaped the full force of the storm now in place, but the Snowland where my love lives and where we may make a home (complexities abound, but in middle age, all kinds of configurations seem possible that in younger years may not have appealed). So that's it, tonight: a post about snow and love, fatigue and possibility, and just about how the thought of a cup of tea can get one through the last hours of a long day.


3 comments:

John B. said...

One of my favorite Wallace Stevens poems aside ("The Snow Man"), I think haiku is well-suited to winter: it's a compact form, a get-it-said-and-get-inside kind of form.

Enjoy your tea. And welcome back.

Anonymous said...

I love your haiku and photo. They fit one another perfectly and snow roosting on tree branches is a lovely image.

Motorcycle Tail Light said...

your haiku is really cool, I have read your whole post and I really enjoyed to read that stuff.and I love this photo.