Sunday, February 12, 2006

The One Hundreth Day

Yes, it has been quite the hiatus here. I'm surprised I could still access my blog. Perhaps the ephemera of cyberspace are not so short-lived after all. Will have to catch up as we go. Meanwhile...

"If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity."

--- Verne

Friday was the one hundreth working day of this year's lateral option (what this is ought to be getting clear to some people). And that's really all I can say, because I am foresworn not to write about that in this blog, not to let it invade.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I managed to get back to the ranch, at least part time. No time to blog or think beyond what I was doing. Don't know in retrospect how I survived it. One day each week, I drove a huge triangle: an hour down to the option (7:00 am - 3:00, not including the commute), forty-five minutes out to the university, a three hour seminar, an hour drive back, bringing me home at 9:30 or ten, up again at five.... This day was bounded on both sides by days ending at six at a different place. I made it through, with some new contacts and some fresh optimism. It afterwards that I felt the side effects , aka the exhaustion that I had pushed away and out of consciousness, and the depression that in spite of making some inroads, no immediate chance of escape is on the horizon. One of my readers, Dave, I think it was, wrote in a comment from long ago that all the vagueness here was getting to him. About this stuff it just has to be, though I am freer to write about what I do part time in the evenings.

We have had a big snowstorm overnight. Ploughs (or are snow ploughs "plows" ?) came earlier, but the snow is still falling, beautiful and thick. Ah. A grey sky and cappucino; no wonder I have found my way to my blog again...

No comments: